Analyzing Mariachi Traditional and
Popular Song Forms
- The popular ranchera are songs from the heart, singing
about love for someone, lost love, patriotic love (both
national and local), nature and environment, etc.
- The traditional ranchera can be 3/4, 2/4 or 4/4.
Contemporary rancheras include compositions with a
mixture of a single ranchera rhythm and a son jaliscience
or huapango rhythms. (These can be referred to as
- The ranchera is a simple song form with instrumental
introduction, verse and/or refrain, return to the
instrumental interlude, verse and/or refrain and tag
ending. Majority in major keys.
- Each ranchera meter has a specific tradtional tag phrase
ending and tag song form ending.
1. The 3/4 ranchera: The
Remate (tag phrase ending)
2. The 3/4 tag ending:
3. The 3/4 ranchera tag ending (minor key):
4. The 2/4 ranchera: The Remate #1
5. The 2/4 ranchera: The Remate #2
7. The 4/4 ranchera: one of many Remates
8. The 4/4 ranchera ending #1:
9. The 4/4 ranchera ending #2:
Back to Song Forms
Mariachi Research Materials main menu