Analyzing Mariachi Traditional and
Popular Song Forms
- Of the most traditional song forms from the mariachi
- Jarabe in spanish means syrup and
probably refers to the mixture of meters
within one jarabe. Typically, a jarabe will go from
a 6/8 to others sections with 3/4, 2/4, return to 6/8 and
end in another meter.
- Although today the jarabes are instrumental songs only,
it is said that the jarabe is a medley of favorite
regional sones and canciones of their era. Many
jarabes have a town or area in the name, i.e.
Jarabe Tapatío (Tapatío is
something or someone from the city of Guadalajara)that
identifies which region it is from.
- Traditionally performed with dancers.
- The 6/8 rhythmic pattern is a constant pattern with no
contratiempos as in the son jaliscience.
Back to Song Forms
Mariachi Research Materials main menu