Analyzing Mariachi Traditional and
Popular Song Forms
- Not from the traditional mariachi genre. Originally
from the Huastec region on the eastern region of México,
now popularized in mariachi.
- Radio broadcasts are responsible for broadening the
invisible borders of regional Mexican folk
forms as well as international popular forms.
- The huapango has alternating rhythmic patterns similar to
the son jaliscience.
- Both major and minor keys are used.
- One of the distinctive characteristics is the use of a
falsetto by the vocalist.
- Another major musical characteristic is the use of fast
and busy violin passages for the musical
introductions and interludes.
Back to Song Forms
Mariachi Research Materials main menu